Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ruby Red By Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red
By Kerstin Gier
Translated By Anthea Bell


Where to start with this one?
I Loved it!
I had planned on reading only a couple of pages before bed and then all of a sudden it was one in the morning and I had finished it. I discovered once I had devoured the whole thing that it is one in a trilogy YAY! BUT the second one “Sapphire Blue” is not due out to 2012 BOO! Even though the author has finished writing the whole trilogy, it is however currently being translated from German. So, I have about eighteen months to learn how to read German if I am feeling impatient. I have to say that the translator has done a wonderful job at translating this book so far, I would never have guessed it was first published in German. All the jokes and references make sense and everything flows wonderfully.


Now what is this book all about?
Time travel!
“Grooooan not Time Travel again Tenya!”
Sorry my groovy darlings but there will be many reviews of time travel books!


SPOILERS!


So! Gwyneth Shepherd lives with her odd, wealthy family in a large, beautiful home. Gwyneth’s ancestors are secretly known for being time travellers and her cousin Charlotte is the destined inheritor of this skill. One day as they are all waiting for Charlotte to have her first jump through time it is Gwyneth who is the one thrown back in time. Suddenly things start happening too quickly for Gwyneth; she is made a member of the guild of time travellers, sent on missions for the guild with barely any training with a partner who seems to prefer her cousin. However, behind the noble facade of the guild, something quite sinister is lurking and poor Gwyneth on her first mission is dropped in the thick of it.


As I say to all people about this book…GO READ IT NOW!!!


With bated breath for the next Five stars from me.
-Tenya


Keep and eye out for:
Sapphire Blue
Emerald Green

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Just wow. The reason I picked up this book in the first place was because the cover is so different, and I am so glad I did! This is my first foray into the world of time travel, and I couldn't have picked a better novel to start with. Ruby Red is an enthralling story that will captivate you from the first page. I can definitely see why it's an international bestseller.

    The pacing of the book was a bit slow at first, but the characters are so well developed, and the story was so mysterious, that I remained intrigued. Even the secondary characters had terrific, three dimensional personalities. About halfway through the book, things start to pick up, and then it's impossible to put this book down! In the last half of the book, there is action, romance, and mystery! I couldn't have asked for a better story.

    ReplyDelete