Life is never boring for friends Nan Killian and Sarah Lyon-White as their connections to the world of elemental magicians means there is always some sort of adventure around the corner that needs their skills. Having Suki join their little family has lead to some semblance of a comfortable and settled life, but that is shattered with the news that their friend and associate, the great Sherlock Holmes himself, is dead. The only consolation is that he took Professor Moriarty down with him, but that still leaves some of Moriarty's associates loose in the world intent on revenge against the friends of Sherlock Holmes.
When someone makes a bold move again their small family Nan and Sarah make the difficult decision to send Suki off to the safety of the School - a smart move as they soon find themselves tangled up in a very strange case. The body of a young woman has washed up wearing a white dress and missing her head, and she is soon followed by another. As Sarah, Nan and the Watson's dig deeper into the case they realise that a very dark and dangerous power is growing on the streets of London - a Necromancer who has power of the dead. It will be a race against time to stop the Necromancer before they can complete their task, because they are planning the unthinkable and don't care how many lives they spend to do it.
This is an interesting addition to the Elemental Masters universe as unlike most of the other books in the series there is no clear traditional tale that provides a framework for the story - other than the inclusion yet again of Sherlock Holmes and John and Mary Watson. Despite that departure from what has become a tradition for the series this was a very welcome addition, not in the least because it provides more information about some of the characters and lays the foundations for future storylines. Lots of fun to read and I can't wait to see where the series goes next.
If you like this book then try:
- The Fire rose by Mercedes Lackey (not officially part of the series)
- The serpent's shadow by Mercedes Lackey
- The gates of sleep by Mercedes Lackey
- Phoenix and ashes by Mercedes Lackey
- The wizard of London by Mercedes Lackey
- Reserved for the cat by Mercedes Lackey
- Unnatural issue by Mercedes Lackey
- Home from the sea by Mercedes Lackey
- Steadfast by Mercedes Lackey
- Blood red by Mercedes Lackey
- From a high tower by Mercedes Lackey
- A study in sable by Mercedes Lackey
- A scandal in Battersea by Mercedes Lackey
Reviewed by Brilla