Beyond the starting school message, this is a fun and enjoyable read, with illustrations that support the fun and energy of the story. Puppies of all shapes and sizes are part of the class, and there are loads of bright colours including the text which has highlighted words. This could be a great story for older children in the family to read to younger siblings, helping prepare them in a positive way for starting school.
I loved this book because the puppies are so full of energy, and because I could easily visualise the havoc puppies would wreck if they really were in a classroom - especially if they were sharing the classroom with children!
If you like this book then try:
- Bark, George by Jules Feiffer
- First day of school by Anne Rockwell; pictures by Lizzy Rockwell
- What puppies do best by Laura Numeroff; illustrated by Lynn Munsinger
- The things I love about school by Trace Moroney
- Muddypaws by Moira Butterfield; illustrated by Simon Mendez
- Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's dairy by Lynley Dodd
Reviewed by Brilla