Thursday, January 3, 2013

Megacatastrophes!: nine weird ways the world could end by David Darling & Dirk Schulze-Makuch

I’m quite partial to the odd science book. Odd in both senses: an-indeterminate-number and quirky. It sounded like it fitted both definitions.

When I have a few things going on and my brain’s feeling a bit full, I relax by reading non-fiction. Popular science books are a favourite at this time – enough information to keep my mind occupied, but not so difficult that I struggle to figure it out.

This is entertaining in content and in writing style. Chapter 2 ‘When physics goes wrong’ is particularly relevant, with the discussion of the search for the Higgs boson (‘The God Particle’) using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

The subject itself is fascinating and, having watched a few docos on it, thought it would be right up my alley. And it was.

Entertaining, educational, and intriguing. Good for science-fans, but not necessarily serious science-types.


Other info-tainment sciency-books are:
  • The geek-manifesto by Mark Henderson.
  • The science of Doctor Who by Paul Parsons.
  • Bad science by Ben Goldacre.
  • Star Trek, I'm working on that by William Shatner.
  • Science is golden by Karl Kruszelnicki.
Reviewed by Thalia.

No comments:

Post a Comment