Monday, December 14, 2020

1000 tattoos by Chris Coppola

Tattoos are not to everyone's taste, but there are some truly gifted tattooists out there who can bring skin to life with lines, dots, and coloured inks.  Like millions of people around the world I myself have tattoos, and I frequently find myself admiring the ink other people wear (though sometimes I do wonder what other people were thinking when they got theirs!)  Thanks to programmes like Tattoo Fixers I have found myself admiring designs that I never thought I would, especially some of the hyper realistic tattoos one of the Fixers excels at, alongside the beautiful and feminine point work and flowers of another Fixer, and then of course there are the other designs that are simply stunning in their own unique way.  On top of that I have just recently finished reading The tattoo thief by Alison Belsham, which is all about a tattoo artist which has also reignited my interest in tattoos.

The resulting search of the local public library catalogue lead me to 1000 tattoos which is what it sounds like - a book that collects together images of different tattoos.  I was half expecting a random selection of tattoos with a thematic approach, but instead this is a curated collection of art by artist - art that happens to be on skin rather than canvas.  There is something for every taste in this book, from traditional designs incorporated into modern designs through to amazing and vibrant colourwork.  For some parents this book may be their worst nightmare, but it is a great place to start if you are contemplating a tattoo as you can get an overview of different artistic styles, and options in terms of colourwork and black and white.  Even if you are not contemplating getting ink, there is some outstanding artistry between the covers.

1000 tattoos was a fantastic find to stumble across, and I was impressed to find a local tattooist from Auckland included in the international line up.  A real feast for the eyes (and skin) to enjoy.

Reviewed by Brilla

No comments:

Post a Comment