Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cloaked in red by Vivian Vande Velde

This is one of those books that has ended up marketed at young adults thanks, I suppose, by the author's previous work, but would appeal far more to adults.

Eight versions of 'Little Red Riding Hood' are offered in this collection. Eight versions with adult sensibilities and humour, some of which I feel would be lost on younger readers. I don't think a teenager would understand the pathos in 'The Red Hiding Hood Doll', and the depth of need that impels Georgette to create the doll.

Wider popular culture references occasionally provide a 'nudge-nudge-wink-wink' kind of a laugh.

Appealing yes, but more for adults. As I think about it, my favourite story changes, so I can't offer any thoughts on that one, sorry.

If you like this try:
  • The Enchanted Forest chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede, starting with Dealing with dragons (also published as Dragonsbane).
  • Five Hundred kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey, starting with The Fairy Godmother.
  • The Elemental masters series by Mercedes Lackey.
  • Pretty much any Robin McKinley! I'd say start with Beauty or Rose Daughter. Or, maybe Spindle's end. Or, Deerskin.
Reviewed by Thalia.

No comments:

Post a Comment