Tuesday, July 19, 2022

James Patterson by James Patterson

James Patterson is one of the most (if not the most) prolific writers of the past few decades - releasing several books each year, the majority of which are collaborations with other writers.  I am very much a James Patterson fan and although I don't read absolutely everything he releases I have read the majority of them.  His memoir is one of the best I have read (and I have read many), the main reason being that it feels like you have met James Patterson and you're just sitting down for a chat rather than reading through a book.  

This is not a chronological story - I was born, I grew up, I did this, I did that - it is instead an introduction to the life and experiences of James Patterson the man, not just James Patterson the author.  For me it very much had the feel of being an appearance on a chat show, just with the host missing or muted so all you can hear is James Patterson talking about James Patterson.

Told in the short, punchy chapters that Patterson is famous for, it is all too easy to start reading and loose track of time as you move from memory to experience, to life lesson.  There are some surprising anecdotes involving some surprisingly famous people. as well as sweet (or bitter sweet depending on the situation) memories of the people who have had an influence on his life.  

This was a surprisingly fun read, partly because of the situations Patterson has found himself in, but also because he has a warmth and charisma that comes through - and a really good sense of humour too!  After reading James Patterson by James Patterson I can now share his co-authoring style when I am asked - something I get asked surprisingly often as a librarian.  

Even if you are not a James Patterson fan - or don't have strong feelings either way - this is a great read.

Reviewed by Brilla

No comments:

Post a Comment